Thursday, May 15, 2008

Re: Backup Solutions

Nice resource for a homebrewed system:

http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

I have used this to set up full network backup to a large disk array. I then
take a snapshot of weekly_4 to tape and store offsite. I have made a web
interface that allows individuals to recover their own files as well.

Works like a charm. To a bit to set up, but I no longer have to baby sit any
part of my backup, except to fetch a tape at the end of the month.

A lot can be done with Open Source tools, and the work that others make
available to use/borrow can save you a lot of time on the learning curve.

Cheers
Cameron

--
Cameron Moredock