Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Re: Yellow page advertising

Tom -

I'll share our experience. Initially, tracking data on how people who
contact us found out about us, we were startled to find that about 70%
of our initial contacts reported "finding" us in the yellow pages.
This led us to increase the size and visibility of our yellow pages ads
at very considerable expense. Only after we began tracking how those
yellow pages contacts turned out did we realize that we almost never
enrolled a student as a result of a yellow pages contact. It turned
out that the people who found us in the yellow pages couldn't afford
our tuition, even with maximum financial aid. Now, our yellow pages
listing is as small as it can be.

Earl Oremus
Head, Marburn Academy
Columbus, OH