Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Re: Vacant campuses

Northfield looks like the right kind of campus. It also has the
advantage of a nearby existing school. I have forward all of these
suggestions along and welcome others as well. I but the messenger here
offering my help.

The idea is for a private secondary school based on the principles of
the LDS (Mormon) Church but not a formal church school. Similar to
Southern Virginia University but on a secondary level.

Many LDS families in the northeast would like to have such a school as
they often find that their child is the only LDS student in school and
it is hard for them to maintain religious education in such a setting.

Such students are not well served in traditional "Christian" schools
due to the hostile reception their religion receives at many of these
schools and the fact that the LDS reject such notions as creationism
as part of a formal science curriculum for example.

Traditional preparatory schools, such as what I went to Oak Grove-
Coburn 1976, work but again the students often find themselves the
only Latter-day Saint in school and religious instruction can be
difficult in such a setting.

It is felt there there may be an opening for a school that while
reenforcing the values that the LDS faith promotes does not rejecting
traditional academic disciplines replacing them with religious dogma.
Such approach is common in evangelical christian schools and is not
part of the traditional LDS approach to education.

It is felt that an LDS school might find a market even with some non-
LDS students. Religious instruction both LDS and non-sectarian would
be given but separate from the traditional academic disciplines.
Similar to the way BYU and SVU keep their religion departments at arms
length from the other academic areas.

Hence the need for a campus with boarding facilities as it is expected
to draw students from a wide region which need not be near a urban
center.

Greg