Thursday, October 18, 2007

Re: Desktop monitoring software

Here at American International School of Guangzhou in China I installed it
in a lab for testing purposes as a deterrent to game playing.

Software worked as advertised in terms of being able to observe client mac
hines, broadcast messages and display teacher or specific client machine t
o everyone else.

This was all installed on new Intel Core Duo 2 machines running Windows XP
. Installation was simple and uncomplicated.

But there are issues. First some people have moral issues with the observa
tion. I was going to announce and update our AUP to state this type of sof
tware was installed.

Even more complicating is who watches a screen with 25 or so mini-screens.
We moved to a new campus and I didn't install it here. Just no time to mak
e meaningful use of it. Admin loved the idea and encouraged it's use. Sort
of like having a bank of 25 security cameras. If you are going to monitor
them, got to have a alert body to do so.

Anyhow, the software worked as advertised. I liked that I could shut down
all machines with it. About once every four hours the server/monitor softw
are would crash on my machine. But just restarting worked. We noticed no a
ppreciable degredation in client or host computer performance.

Almost disturbingly easy to set up and use etc.

Bob

A forum for independent school educators <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> writes:
>Hi Adrian,
>
>You might want to consider iTalc (http://italc.sourceforge.net/home.php).
>I have seen it run in Linux. However, it also comes in a build for Window
>s. It's pretty powerful. I know some folks in Indiana public schools hav
>e had some success with it but they are also running it in a Linux environ
>ment. If you give it a shot, report your findings back to this list.
>
>Take care,
>Alex
>
>Alex Inman
>Director of Technology
>Whitfield School
>St. Louis, MO

Robert Bauer
Information Technology Director
American International School of Guangzhou
Tel: (8620) 8735-3392 Fax: (8620) 8735-3339
rbauer@aisgz.edu.cn

Submissions to ISED-L are released under a Creative Commons license.