Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Re: Emergency Contact Systems for Parents (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED=20
Caveats: NONE

There are a number of Free OSS options for the email piece. We were
looking at PHPList and Mailman, but there are many others. There are
also free services like schoolsout.com that do email (free) and sms
(cost to parent).

For the phone piece I am not aware of any that would be suitable for
emergencies. In theory you want the emergency system to broadcast
quickly and not be physically located on or near your campus. So you
probably want a service that is directly tied into communications
infrastructure and capable of making hundreds of concurrent calls a
minute. We figured for 150 students we would still need to make 750
calls in an emergency (2 cell phones, 2 office numbers, one home phone).

For non-emergency there are a number of auto-dialer systems including
free versions and plug-in for Asterix VOIP systems. These systems will
make calls one-by-one until finished with the call list so it may take a
few hours depending on how many lines/modems you have to devote to it.=20

_Jason

Jason Johnson - Program Director
Web Services Branch - Walter Reed Army Medical Center Ingenium (ISO
9001:2000 certified)
Office: 202-782-1047
Cell: 202-262-0516
jason.johnson@ingenium.net