Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Re: School Visit Request

Capitol HIll Day is a lovely school. Their philosophical roots are
tied to Bruner and for many years they were known for a curriculum
that was authentically informed by his work, Man: A Course of Study.

In 2005 I visited CHD. I greatly admire their longtime Head, Cammy
Peterson, who retired last year. On my visit I was very impressed by
a caring school culture and their field studies program. They are
very diverse and certainly have not succumbed to "affluenza" or a
sense of entitlement.

Lowell is another DC school with a history of commitment to social
issues. Abby, their longtime Head, (retired last year), was dedicated
to building an inclusive albeit diverse school. She focused on
building a supportive community for students and parents. Their
former tech director, Jason Johnson, has been an insightful
contributor to this list. He is no longer there but I think he is
still a member of the list. You might want to ask him if Lowell would
be a good place to visit.
Best,
Carolyn Wilson Koerschen