Sunday, October 21, 2007

Re: Non-School Computers

"lisa.sjogren@srsmn.org" <lisa.sjogren@srsmn.org> on October 12, 2007 at 9
:49 AM -0400 wrote:
>I have a question about the support policy for a non-school computer.
>Any insight would be wonderful.

hi LIsa ... when I was at Chapin as CIO for 5 years, we had a number of pa
ragraphs for people to sign off on ... this helped formalize things and ma
de things more transparent and less stressful!

here is the paragraph relevant to your specific situation

Helping You With A non-Chapin owned Computer
If it is possible to help you with a tech problem on a computer owned by y
ou, we will try, but it may not always be possible. We might ask you to br
ing in the computer or laptop and leave it with us for 48 hours. In all ca
ses, we require that you submit a permission form for us to proceed.
I understand that the tech dept will help me out with my computer issues g
iven the usual parameters of time, honesty and priorities, even though thi
s is not a Chapin owned computer. Although it is unlikely that anything wi
ll happen with my data or my computer, I am formally sending this e-mail a
s a disclaimer so that no member of the tech dept is responsible for any a
ccident, breakage, theft or software issue. I understand that someone in t
he tech dept will try his/her best to fix my machine and that this is real
ly above and beyond the call of duty of the department. I understand that
this will likely take a few days.

you can find this paragraph and more on http://gatornet.chapin.edu/techpol
icies/

hope this helps (a bit) ... Steve

Steve Bergen
CIO and Computer Teacher, The Children's Storefront
e-mail: sbergen@cstorefront.org
An Independent School in Harlem
Web site: http://www.thechildrensstorefront.org
address: 70 East 129th Street, New York, NY 10035

also co-director, The "Summercore" Teaching Company
until the Boston Celtics win #17 ... http://www.summercore.com
Summercore 2008 includes July 7-11 and July 14-18 at Horace Mann, NY
as well as July 21-25 at Shorecrest in St. Petersburg, FL (all 3 open to p
ublic)

Submissions to ISED-L are released under a Creative Commons license.