Thursday, October 25, 2007

Re: emailing parents

Responding slightly delinquently here...

Lorri's posting about school email struck a chord with me. It seems,
at least from where I sit, that even the question might hold you back.
Is not a better question, "What is your policy for electronic
communications with parents?"

I'm thinking of all the other possibilities that exist to communicate
with parents:
* blogs... see Dana Huff's http://class.huffenglish.com/; what a
boon to keep both students and parents informed, at least in a general
sense, of what is going on in the classroom. And then there's
Malcolm' Gauld's blog from the Hyde Schools at
https://www.hyde.edu/podium/default.aspx?t=40561.

What a superb
method of providing insight into the workings of the school.
* RSS feeds... now's the chance to teach our parents about RSS
feeds... as a way of managing information...
* Provide news many ways. My alma mater, Saint James School (MD),
publishes a weekly dean of students note. You can find it at
http://tinyurl.com/33rn89.

I find it interesting that they post the
letter... and it looks like they also email it... they could (but
don't) offer it in an RSS feed.

There are, I suspect, other means of digital communication: podcasts,
video reports, photo galleries. The question is "How do we harness
all of these communications means as a consistent system which
provides the level and type of communication necessary and sought by
parents?"

I'd suggest moving off the email question and consider all the methods
of digital communications available. You'll likely end up with an
email policy, but you'll have a whole lot more, too. It is as if the
possibilities are limitless.

Peace,

/s/ Peter

U.S. Coast Guard