Monday, October 29, 2007

Re: Email questions (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED=20
Caveats: NONE

Carl,

Off the top of my head.
1. You may have a DNS issue. If you are using more than one DNS, are
they configured exactly the same/replicating properly. Do you have
separate Mac and PC DNS systems with your macs going to an Apple DNS?
If so, point them to the PC DNS.
2. You may need to enter the user name as domain/username
3. Your pre-Win 2000 user names may not match your actual user names in
Exchange (i.e. may be a user account issue and not actually related to
the server information)
4. Your macs are on a separate class C ,VLAN, or physically separate
network. They are constantly being routed across narrow bandwidth at
the gateway or there is a DNS or routing table problem with
recognizing/routing to the separate IP space. There may also be an
active directory component to this type of problem as well, I just don't
have a reference system to browse and see which setting are the issue.

Alternates
1. Revert to IMAP (The exchange connection under apple is MAPI). This
should be pretty resilient and your not losing much.
2. If your IP is unlikely to change, map it in your host file to take
DNS issues out of the equation but this is hard to maintain. If this
works and your mailboxes load fast, you know the problem is in the
network (DNS, VLAN, AD, etc.)
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=3D88158
3. Wait a few months until the new version of Mac Office comes out.
The Entourage 2008 is, by all accounts, greatly improved=20
http://www.macoffice2008.com/#
4. Spend a few hours with TCPDump and grep out the problem.
http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1176.html

Jason Johnson - Program Director
Web Services Branch - Walter Reed Army Medical Center Ingenium (ISO
9001:2000 certified)
Office: 202-782-1047
Cell: 202-262-0516
jason.johnson@ingenium.net