Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Re: Students sending electronic assignments

Pardon me if I don=B9t understand some part of this issue. Moodle date-time
stamps all submitted assignments. The student may confirm that their file
upload or text submission is present. In the unlikely event that a script
error were to occur, then either the student would see an error message or
they should notice that their work doesn=B9t appear on the assignment page. I=
seems to me that Moodle=B9s design makes it reasonable to expect students to
take responsibility for submitting assignments, and that =B3Moodle ate my
homework=B2 isn=B9t a defensible position.

Richard

On 4/8/09 12:52 PM, "Tony Tanael" <ttanael@maret.org> wrote:

> Perhaps the burden of proof should be on students to demonstrate that the=
> *have* submitted work rather than for the teacher to prove that they
> *haven't*. As a graduate school student I would email myself an electron=
ic
> copy of all completed assignments (whether submitted to my professor in
> paper form or electronically) so that if it were lost somehow, I could
> potentially demonstrate to my professor that the work was completed and
> on-time (with the time stamp). Fortunately, I never had to do this, but w=
hen
> a single paper can count for 50% of my class grade, and knowing who "wins=
"
> when it comes down to my word (as the student) versus that of the profess=
or,
> this gave me peace of mind. Maybe I'm overly cautious or even paranoid, =
but
> I like to think it's just me managing my digital life. This wouldn't be =
> bad lesson for our students to have. I also like that it's an educationa=
> solution (teaching students to "protect" themselves) rather than a techni=
cal
> one (teacher checking logs).
>=20
> -Tony
>=20
> --
> Tony Tanael
> Director of Technology
> Maret School
> 3000 Cathedral Ave NW
> Washington DC 20008
> 202-939-2468
> ttanael@maret.org
> www.maret.org
>=20
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 9:45 AM, Bob Irving <irvingb@e-lcds.org> wrote:
>=20
>> > Moodle has a feature whereby a teacher can check all student logins: t=
ime,
>> > pages visited, etc. It's under Reports in the Administration block.
>> >
>> > It's a wonderful thing to have in situations like this!
>> >
>> > Bob Irving
>> > Middle School Technology Coordinator
>> > Lancaster Country Day School
>> > Lancaster, PA

M >>>
>> > Good morning.
>> >
>> > Do any of your schools have written policies about electronic submissi=
on
>> > of assignments? Meaning, what happens when a student says they submit
>> > something via email (or Moodle, etc) and there is no record of it or i=
>> > is never received? We are not a 1:1 school, but are making use of
>> > Moodle for assignment submission heavily this year. I am just lookin=
>> > for any language that might be in your student handbooks about this
>> > issue.
>> >
>> > Thanks so much.
>> >
>> > Jeanne
>> >
>> > ********************************************
>> >
>> > Jeanne Phizacklea
>> >
>> > Director of Library & Information Services
>> >
>> > Friends School of Baltimore
>> > www.friendsbalt.org <http://www.friendsbalt.org (
>> > http://www.friendsbalt.org/ )>
>> >

>=20