Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Re: Students sending electronic assignments

Perhaps the burden of proof should be on students to demonstrate that they
*have* submitted work rather than for the teacher to prove that they
*haven't*. As a graduate school student I would email myself an electronic
copy of all completed assignments (whether submitted to my professor in
paper form or electronically) so that if it were lost somehow, I could
potentially demonstrate to my professor that the work was completed and
on-time (with the time stamp). Fortunately, I never had to do this, but when
a single paper can count for 50% of my class grade, and knowing who "wins"
when it comes down to my word (as the student) versus that of the professor,
this gave me peace of mind. Maybe I'm overly cautious or even paranoid, but
I like to think it's just me managing my digital life. This wouldn't be a
bad lesson for our students to have. I also like that it's an educational
solution (teaching students to "protect" themselves) rather than a technical
one (teacher checking logs).

-Tony

--
Tony Tanael