Monday, April 20, 2009

Re: School policy on steps performed before a student owned computer is imaged

We started the 1:1 program in 2003, in the beginning we backed up
everything in my documents, desktop, and favorites.=20
We also had to change our policy because of hours spend backing up
videos, music and pictures. (on average I would say each student has
between 20-30gigs of these file types)=20

We had to gradually make the change, so in the beginning we would backup
the files for them if they brought in an external drive or if the
machine would not boot. We used this time to train them on how to back
up for themselves and also instructed them to keep all school files in a
separate school folder. Our library also has some external drives that
they could check out for this purpose. =20

Today the students know that as long as their machine boots they have to
backup the files before imaging. If the machine will not boot, as a
courtesy, we will copy only their school folder to their network drive
(no music, no photos, no videos)

So far we have not had any problems with this policy and the students
are taking more responsibility and are backing up more frequently. =20

In regards to Itunes, if the student contacts itunes and states that
their hard drive crashed, anything they legally purchased can be
downloaded again.=20

David Hennel
Network Administrator
Notre Dame Prep School
Towson, Maryland=20
443-921-2855

We made a slow transition to no longer backing anything up as long as
the system boots, or backing up only their school folder if the machine
will no longer load windows. =20