Monday, April 20, 2009

Re: Online grades available to parents at your school?

Linda,
I think this is a highly debatable decision that must (MUST) reflect the
philosophy and culture of the school. We do post our grades online for
students and then report cards for parents and students, but we are a
boarding/day high school that values students being responsible for
their own grades and homework. In an elementary school you are more apt
to have "helicopter" parents and it might be harder to adhere to this
policy. I come from a Pre-K through 8 background and I still believe it
is better for students, parents, and teachers to teach students to take
responsibility for their work - from turning it in to making sure it
comes back and for any corrections that can be learned from. My own
boys had a second grade teacher that insisted homework was not "done"
until it was handed in. I still thank her for that and these same
"boys" are in college now. If you decide to post your grades online
available for parents' eyes you must anticipate some of the meddling
that will ensue and be prepared ahead of time on how you and your
teachers will handle these situations.

Best of luck,
Ann

Ann Hamel