Thursday, July 31, 2008

Re: Technology Professional Development

Bill,
=20
This isn't quite an answer for you because it isn't really training as =
much as "forced" collaboration. Our big initiative of the last couple =
years has been tablet use. Each year we have added a few more teachers =
in a pilot sort of system and have required them to participate in a =
running blog at http://teacherplaces.com <http://teacherplaces.com/> =
with their projects and lessons learned. Other than that we train new =
teachers on the SIS and the rest is pretty much "just in time" training. =
We are small (50 staff) so it can work but I'm interested in other =
models.
=20
sherry
Sherry Ward
Director of Technology
Alexandria Country Day School
2400 Russell Road
Alexandria, VA 22301
703-837-1317 sward@acdsnet.org

________________________________

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Re: verbage for Faculty Handbook

Hello - I am out of the office at a Trustee meeting until Friday 8/1. All
technical support requests should ALWAYS be directed to
tech@newhampton.org, or 603-677-3454. Thanks!

Re: verbage for Faculty Handbook

Anyone read "When Young Teachers Go Wild on the Web" in the Washington =
Post (April 2008)? =
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/27/AR2008042=
702213.html?wpisrc=3Dnewsletter=20

Although we don't have language on social networking posts (specifically =
for faculty) in our handbook, when I read this article, I decided to =
refer to the article, with humor, at our upcoming new faculty tech =
training. We agreed that we didn't want to imply that our new teachers =
were behaving badly before arriving...just that they might want to think =
about the content of their profiles if they had not yet done so, now =
that they will be working with students who also use those networks.
=20
BTW Great NPR podcast. Thanks for sharing. - Vi=20
____________________________________
Vi Richter
Instructor/Academic Technology Coordinator
Phillips Exeter Academy

________________________________

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Re: Webpages

Hi,

I taught webpage design to our middle school students and we used NVU wysiwyg web authoring tool that is open source but looks like it changed to KompoZer.

http://www.nvu.com/
http://www.kompozer.net/

Craig Rugh
Seoul Academy International School

Monday, July 28, 2008

Re: Putting Annual Fund Pledge on Tuition Statements

As this thread is about tuition statements, are any of you providing =
online statements and payment options to your school parents? If so, I'm =
interested in finding out if you're using Diamond Mine to provide credit =
card and checking account transactions and the kind of feedback you've =
received from the parents.
=20
Many thanks,
=20
Nikki Lucyk
University School of Milwaukee
2100 W. Fairy Chasm Rd.
Milwaukee, WI 53217
(414)540-3159
=20
"The great thing in this world is not so much where we stand, as in the
direction we are moving." ~Oliver Wendell Holmes
=20

________________________________

Sunday, July 27, 2008

K12 Open Minds Conference

The following is an announcement the second K12 Open Minds conference
Sept 25-27 in Indianapolis. K12 Open Minds is dedicated to exploring
open source software in K12 education and our own Alex Inman from the
Whitfield School will be one of the keynotes. Please feel free to pass
this along to anyone who might be interested.

Dear Educational Leader:

Schools around the United States and the world are discovering the
benefits of Open-Source Software. In Indiana alone, over 150,000
students use Open-Source Software every day. Not only does Open-Source
Software save money, it allows schools to extend essential educational
software to students' homes and into after-school programs, providing
extended learning opportunities at no cost.

Are you looking for ways to provide more technology with less money?
Could your teachers benefit from a Virtual Learning Environment (Moodle,
Sakai)?
Do you want a solution for all of your students to access their school
work from home?
Is your school community looking for ways to increase student engagement
and learning?

Have you thought about developing an Open-Source Software strategy to
increase technology access while controlling costs?

Join us September 25-27, 2008 in Indianapolis, Indiana for the K-12 Open
Minds Conference! This is an unparalleled opportunity to talk with
teachers, administrators and technology staff from around the U.S. and
the world. We expect more than 600 attendees, from the US, Europe, Asia
and North and South America. Dozens of sessions that address teaching
and learning, leadership and technical issues related to open
technologies make this conference a "must attend" event.

Teaching and Learning sessions will feature experienced teachers from
around the world demonstrating successful strategies and techniques.
Technology and Infrastructure sessions will feature experts from around
the world on issues such as: connecting to your local Windows or Mac
authentication server, managing large and small network deployments, and
using interactive whiteboards in classrooms in Linux and open-source
environments, and more. Additional sessions designed for Leadership and
Policy will demonstrate how policy initiatives and effective strategies
for using Open-Source Software help to meet your educational objectives.

Featured Speakers include:
Donna Benjamin - Executive Director of Creative Contingencies and board
member of Open Source Industry Australia;
Alex Inman -- Director of Technology at Whitfield School, St. Louis, MO
- an Essential School using open source;
Chris Lehman -- Principal of the Science Leadership Academy in
Philadelphia, PA, and;
Dr. David Thornburg - Director of Global Operations for the Thornburg
Center and author of several books including, When the Best is Free.

For more information and to register go to: http://k12openminds.org

A special conference hotel rate of $97 is available at the Indianapolis
Downtown Marriott through Monday, August 25, 2008. After that, rates may
be higher.

If you have any questions please contact Mike Huffman at 317.232.6672 or
mhuffman@doe.in.gov

--
This time for sure!
-Bullwinkle J. Moose

Re: Putting Annual Fund Pledge on Tuition Statements

From NAIS Legal Counsel, Debra Wilson (wilson@nais.org):=20
=20
I actually think this is okay if you set out the letter the right way. =
What gets dangerous is if the letter starts to have more information =
than "Here is your tuition and here is the amount you pledged several =
months ago" (e.g.: a 'No -No" would be.... "Won't you also consider =
making a gift the annual fund for the difference between your tuition =
and the actual cost?). It's hard for schools and the development people =
to ignore the urge to monkey with it. You would probably be better off =
with two different communications in the same envelope (one a tuition =
bill another an annual giving pledge reminder of the amount that they =
gave).=20

Cheers.
=20
Patrick F. Bassett, President
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
1620 L St., NW
Washington, DC 20036
bassett@nais.org
202.973.9710 (O)
202.973.9790 (F)
202.746.5444 (C)
www.nais.org <http://www.nais.org/>=20
=20

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Re: Open Office

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Ernest Koe <ernestkoe@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was once a teacher but I am now on the private side of the education
> technology business. As such, my perspective on this evolving topic is
> largely informed by what I see as an potential employer and someone deepl=
> involved in the technology/software business.
>
> Bill makes some great points...
>
> My test of computer-literacy has little to do with what 'programs' people
> know. R=E9sum=E9s that list specific word-processing program skills (e.g.=
Expert
> in Word, Excel...) actually suggest something negative than positive. Fr=
om
> my perspective, it is better to expose students to patterns-of-use then t=
> application-skills; that one is an expert in MS Word but untrained in OO
> Writer or Google Docs or The Next Greatest Word Processor has very little
> relevance on this side of the industry...

Well, yes and no. It all depends on the industry and the job. For example,
our church office is an MS Office shop, and a new secretary who applies
without having either demonstrated skills in Office, *or* a demonstrated
desire to learn new stuff, is not a likely candidate for the job. We alread=
have a number of people who cut their teeth on WordPerfect and a dragging
their feet when it comes to adapting to regular and *good* use of Office
that we don't need another "Word trainee" on our hands. This became
particularly important when our pastor was working on his dissertation and
the software and format required by the seminary was Word. No one on the
church office staff had the experience with Word to be able to figure out
why certain flaky things were happening. Sure, they could *try* to look it
up, but an intermediate familiarity with the most popular word processing
program would've been great, and saved me numerous trips to church to try t=
figure things out and numerous hours examining an emailed file while
listening to a description of the problem over the phone. Sometimes you jus=
need an expert in *that* tool.

Granted, had any of these people been motivated to dig deeper into the
workings of Word despite their WordPerfect upbringings, they might not have
needed to call me as often. But the simple fact of the matter is that they
had other things to do besides become experts on another word processing
program. Especially if the dissertation called for features that they had
never used or cared about before.

And off the topic of the dissertation (and I have my issues with
institutions that expect the candidates to do all the DTP stuff as well as
the research and writing), even such "simple" things as the format for the
weekly bulletin can be a battle to try to explain to a person who doesn't
understand some of the more advanced features in word such as custom styles=
,
multiple sections, and facing margins. Having someone who already knows Wor=
really does make the training that much easier.

On the other hand the right person can learn any new program in a certain
category once they've learned the features of one. But this isn't everyone.
It's been part of my job as a computer professional for 20 years to learn
Xedit, Kedit, XyWrite, WordPerfect, MacWrite, WriteNow, Word, etc, and to
have an idea of what menu this particular developer might have put this
command under, and what they might've called it. But we shouldn't expect
everyone to be geeks with the time to learn three different operating
systems and their applications well. Most of us will never be in situations
where we have to be able to do that, and those few who will, will be
extremely well-paid. When I was in Computing Services at Syracuse
University, we often talked about serving the 95/95 user - that is what 95%
of the users need to do 95% of the time. If 95% of the users are using 25%
of the features of Word 95% of the time, then maybe that's what I should
teach. There is something to be said for teaching someone how to use one
tool *well* before having them try another similar one.

On the other hand though, I would love to be able to have the kids work in
two different word processing programs, move the files back and forth, and
learn how to figure out what menu the text wrapping command might be under
in FredWriter as opposed to Word. But there comes a point where teaching
them how to use the tools as a "general concept" takes away from them
learning how to use a specific tool to get the job at hand done well and
quickly. Perhaps I'll experiment with that a little this year as I try to
get all my students to sign up for Gmail accounts, and have them play aroun=
with Google Docs.

There's more I could say, but I think I've gone on long enough, and my 6yo
daughter wants a bowl of cereal.

Re: Open Office

I was once a teacher but I am now on the private side of the education =20=

technology business. As such, my perspective on this evolving topic is =20=

largely informed by what I see as an potential employer and someone =20
deeply involved in the technology/software business.

Bill makes some great points...

My test of computer-literacy has little to do with what 'programs' =20
people know. R=E9sum=E9s that list specific word-processing program =
skills =20
(e.g. Expert in Word, Excel...) actually suggest something negative =20
than positive. =46rom my perspective, it is better to expose students =20=

to patterns-of-use then to application-skills; that one is an expert =20
in MS Word but untrained in OO Writer or Google Docs or The Next =20
Greatest Word Processor has very little relevance on this side of the =20=

industry. We use it all, and we expect a meta-fluency in software =20
programs, not fluency in specific toolsets. A skills-based curriculum/=20=

approach may actually be counter-productive in my experience, though =20
I'll submit that my personal experiences do not make for a statistical =20=

case.

Alex said:

Though there is certainly a point of infinite regression, I think we =20
need to look for change in tools, when that change makes sense, and =20
push for it. Our students need to get used to new systems, new tools, =20=

new processes. That is the only certainly for which we can prepare =20
them. Today it is Office 2007 or GIMP. Tomorrow it is something that =20=

hasn't been written...and maybe by one (or several) of our students.

We don't teach students to play video games, yet they learn to play =20
the next greatest game without our need to offer video-game-playing =20
instructions. I'll posit that we don't have to worry preparing kids =20
for changes in software, though we should support the free and =20
unhindered exploration of whatever enables them to be better learners =20=

and thinkers. Nonetheless, I do understand that schools have real-=20
world administrative, political, or budgetary demands. We want =20
students to use computers but we want to do so in a such a way that is =20=

administratively tenable. We like uniform environments, common =20
practices, things that keep the chaos of change at bay. Yet, I wonder =20=

sometimes if the need to standardize on platforms or curriculums have =20=

less to do with any real pedagogical outcomes than on the impulse to =20
satisfy these those business-demands.

To be clear, these non-pedagogical reasons may be perfectly valid, but =20=

it seems to me that we ought not to confuse the them with the business =20=

of teaching any sort of computer literacy.

But the original poster asked if anyone had a good curriculum for =20
OpenOffice. Regrettably, I do not. However, I think any sort of 'good' =20=

curriculum should have the following features:
* it is grounded in problem solving, not in learning particular =20
features or skills
* it is about good writing, thinking and communicating, not about good =20=

word-processing or slide-making

myVeryHumble2Cents( )

On Jul 26, 2008, at 2:11 PM, Bill Fitzgerald wrote:

> Hello, all,
>
> I'm reading this thread and coming at it from two places: first, an =20=

> ex-technology director who had the responsibility/pleasure of making =20=

> technology decisions regarding platforms and applications for =20
> schools; and second, from the perspective of an open source =20
> developer --
>
> The argument about "preparing students for the real world" falls a =20
> little flat when it comes to many technology issues, especially when =20=

> it comes to productivity suites like office. The basic skills =20
> required are common among *any* platform; employers also offer =20
> training for new employees; and besides, many entry-level tasks are =20=

> moving to the browser as companies find they can save money by =20
> moving to web-based tools.
>
> I argue that we do students more of a service by teaching critical =20
> thinking skills that can be applied cross-platform, cross-tool. More =20=

> importantly, we do students a disservice by tethering their problem-=20=

> solving abilities to the options presented within one software =20
> package. If all you have is a hammer, every problem's a nail.
>
> And with that said, I do understand one piece of the argument that =20
> identifies Macs as the tool of choice for video editing.
>
> But still, using tools as the basis of our technological decisions =20
> will not serve us well in all cases. The choice of tools should =20
> start with a clear analysis of educational outcomes, and we should =20
> select the tools that best support those outcomes -- and, as TCO =20
> relates to access to computers, which relates to ability to achieve =20=

> some educational outcomes, Open Source has a role to play in these =20
> discussions.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bill

> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, =20

Re: Open Office

Hello, all,

I'm reading this thread and coming at it from two places: first, an ex-technology director who had the responsibility/pleasure of making technology decisions regarding platforms and applications for schools; and second, from the perspective of an open source developer --

The argument about "preparing students for the real world" falls a little flat when it comes to many technology issues, especially when it comes to productivity suites like office. The basic skills required are common among *any* platform; employers also offer training for new employees; and besides, many entry-level tasks are moving to the browser as companies find they can save money by moving to web-based tools.

I argue that we do students more of a service by teaching critical thinking skills that can be applied cross-platform, cross-tool. More importantly, we do students a disservice by tethering their problem-solving abilities to the options presented within one software package. If all you have is a hammer, every problem's a nail.

And with that said, I do understand one piece of the argument that identifies Macs as the tool of choice for video editing.

But still, using tools as the basis of our technological decisions will not serve us well in all cases. The choice of tools should start with a clear analysis of educational outcomes, and we should select the tools that best support those outcomes -- and, as TCO relates to access to computers, which relates to ability to achieve some educational outcomes, Open Source has a role to play in these discussions.

Cheers,

Bill

Re: Open Office

=EF=BB=BF

Alex - Very nicely stated.
=20
I know this list is geared towards independent schools and I
find that
- as a whole - they're much more willing to try new things and
be a
little more daring than the public schools, and there's been so
many
layers of bureaucracy in the public schools that it's been
difficult to
get an answer why there isn't more interest in free and open
source
software.
=20
I see our public schools in Frederick County, MD advertise that
they
have 4.5 students per PC. Talking to some of the kids, it's
most likely
that the number includes a good amount of unusable PC's - but
they're
making the numbers for the state. I talk to school educators
and 4.5
students per PC roughly translates to a little less than an hour
of PC
time a week for each student due to scheduling and other issues.
By the
way, =EF=BB=BFwe are considered one of the better county schools in=
our
state.
=20
I look at Mike Hoffman, CIO of Indiana Public Schools, who
decided to
take his whole state over to open source software because they
too had
4.5 students per PC. He felt that the time was so short, it
amounted to
typing class with no real computer skills being learned. In
addition,
he saw that the children from disadvantaged homes were falling
further
behind with the digital divide getting wider.
=20
With the change, he was able to get a PC for every student with
no
increase in funding. It's still early - they're two years in
and are
working on getting all the high schools done first - but it's
been
pretty amazing. Schools that have switched are seeing dramatic
drops in
disciplinary actions. He's angling for a study - he believes
it's
because the students are no longer bored, have a sense of
ownership in
their PC's. They're now planning on hitting the middle schools!
=20
I know change is difficult, but at what point does a school
system or school
decide that the change would be good for schools, the students
and the
community? Who ultimately would make that decision?
=20
On Fri, 2008-07-25 at 22:04 -0500, Inman, Alex wrote:
=20
> It's almost 10pm and I'm still at school trying to get things done before=
a short vacation but this post brings up something I think should be discu=
ssed more in schools. Bill makes a few points in his last two posts that I=
think are common.
>=20
> His points about choosing technology that will prepare our students for t=
he next level, such as Adobe on Macs for design work, makes sense. You are=
building a schema to complete specific tasks.
>=20
> However, I want to push a little on staying with Office 2003 because it's=
good enough or Photoshop because it's comfortable. These are both common =
arguments and not wrong. However, we are preparing our students for the ne=
xt level. That's college and the world. If Mac's and Adobe is what is nee=
ded to prepare kids for college, then Office 2007 is what's needed to prepa=
re them for college. But it actually goes beyond that. It doesn't stop wi=
th the "next step" because the "next step" never stops coming and each new =
step comes faster than the one before.
>=20
> Though there is certainly a point of infinite regression, I think we need=
to look for change in tools, when that change makes sense, and push for it=
. Our students need to get used to new systems, new tools, new processes. =
That is the only certainly for which we can prepare them. Today it is Off=
ice 2007 or GIMP. Tomorrow it is something that hasn't been written...and =
maybe by one (or several) of our students.
>=20
> We have to take cost, culture and migration issues into consideration, fo=
r sure, but we need to be seeking change. I'm not advocating change for th=
e sake of change. It needs to be calculated. However, I am most certainly=
advocating that we don't avoid change because it is not comfortable or out=
side of existing norms.
>=20
> Bill, I don't think you were making such bold assertions either. I am no=
t trying to make a Straw Man. I've just been thinking about this lately an=
d this was close enough for me to tie my rant. :-)
>=20
> Take care,
> Alex
>=20
> Alex Inman
> Director of Technology
> Whitfield School
> St. Louis, MO
> 314.434.5141

Matt Burkhardt, MSTM
President
Impari Systems, Inc.
=EF=BB=BF401 Rosemont Avenue
Frederick, MD 21701
mlb@imparisystems.com
www.imparisystems.com
(301) 644-3911

Friday, July 25, 2008

Re: Open Office
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Re: Open Office

Matt,

We were able to purchase a site license of Adobe CS 3 Design Standard
(Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, & Acrobat) for both Mac and Windows
through our local IU at a price of $5,000. I thought that was a pretty
reasonable price for what we were getting. For us, we needed several
copies of InDesign because it's the format that our local printing
companies accept. To get Acrobat Professional was also very compelling.
Then to add Photoshop and Illustrator for our art students, we felt
compelled to spend the bucks.

As far as why people would stick with Photoshop, I think it comes down
to a few things.

1. Many teachers have been trained to use Photoshop, so they want to
teach Photoshop, not Gimp.
2. As people have become more familiar with Adobe products, it's harder
to switch to another program. It's comfort.
3. We know that many college programs will be using Adobe products for
layout and for photo manipulation. We felt that giving students access
to these programs would help them when they go to college. It's the same
reason we felt it was necessary to introduce Macs in our art
department.

I have nothing against Gimp and I certainly love FOSS, but this was a
situation where we didn't want to travel that road.

Regards,

Bill Griscom

Director of Information Services
Lancaster Country Day School
725 Hamilton Road
Lancaster, PA 17603-2491
717.392.2916 x. 246
griscomb@lancastercountryday.org

>>> Matt Burkhardt <mlb@imparisystems.com> 7/24/2008 10:30 AM >>>
I'm curious - Photoshop currently is about $300 per copy with their
educational discount. If you have it on 20 computers on a school,
that
runs to $6000. If a school went open source, you can purchase
computers
running Linux for $450 to $500 which translates to 12 additional
computers.

Kids would also be able to download it to their personal computers for
free and do additional work at home, helping to close the digital
divide.

So, my question is why do schools stay with Photoshop?

I can imagine it makes sense when you're a top tier private school
with
more money in the world, but many schools aren't in that situation.

Thanks,

On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 19:03 -0700, Jason Johnson wrote:

> Specifically GIMP does not have:
> --CMYK and Pantone support (which you almost certainly don't need).
> --RAW support (which you might need for digital camera work).
> Otherwise, I am not aware of anything but is has been about a year
since I checked. I am sure someone has a comparison chart out there.

> There are some other features that you may need to use a plug-in for
to achieve similar functionality. Probably the biggest drawback to GIMP
is that Photoshop gets all the press. There are dozens of books on PS
for ever one there is on GIMP and plenty of student friendly tutorials.
That is where gimpshop comes in handy. It converts the GIMP interface
to be more like photoshop (i.e. similar UI but does not change
functionality).

> http://www.gimpshop.com/
>
> Outside of features another big hurdle for mac users is that the
project does not produce binaries for the mac which means a more complex
install. Another group supports packaging with a sourceforge project
but, as always, that means they run months to years behind the OS
releases and GIMP releases.
> http://darwingimp.sourceforge.net/____________________________
> Jason at jasonpj@yahoo.com

Photoshop does that GIMP cannot.

> Hoover Chan chan@sacredsf.org
> Director of Technology
> Schools of the Sacred Heart
> 2222 Broadway St.
> San Francisco, CA 94115

Matt Burkhardt, MSTM
President
Impari Systems, Inc.
401 Rosemont Avenue
Frederick, MD 21701
mlb@imparisystems.com
www.imparisystems.com
(301) 644-3911

Re: Open Office

Thank you for your message. I am away from school. If you need immediate
assistance, please call or email Katrina (katrina_wolfe@ajhds.com)
I'll be back at school on August 18.
Best regards,
Larry

Re: Open Office

Renee,

I know that this doesn't address your question, but have you considered =
just sticking with Office 2003? If you look at the primary functions that =
people use in Office, I think you'll find that those features probably =
existed in Office 97. Obviously that's not true across the board, but most =
students are not Office power users. It seems that most office staff use =
pretty basic features, with the exception of mail merge.=20

If you didn't have copies of Office 2003, I would say that you might want =
to entertain the idea of OpenOffice or another alternative, but I'm not =
sure that any office suite would actually offer such a significant benefit =
that you'd want it over Office 2003. Unless we upgrade to Vista's =
successor and it cannot handle Office 2003, I don't see us moving away =
from Office 2003 for quite some time.

Regards,

Bill Griscom

Director of Information Services
Lancaster Country Day School
725 Hamilton Road
Lancaster, PA 17603-2491
717.392.2916 x. 246
griscomb@lancastercountryday.org

>>> Renee Ramig <rramig@sevenhillsschool.org> 7/22/2008 11:43 PM >>>
Hi,

I was wondering if any school has totally done away with using Microsoft =
Office and switched totally to using Open Office. =20

We are still Using Office 2003, and the thought of spending thousands of =
dollars to upgrade to 2007 is just not appealing to me. If you do use Open =
Office for all or most things, can you share with men of anything you have =
found missing in Open Office. Do students, teachers and administrators =
use Open Office, or just one or two of these groups?

Thanks,

Renee Ramig
Seven Hills School

Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, =
non-commercial, share-alike license.

Re: Open Office

I will be on vacation and out of email contact until August 11. I will re
spond to your message when I return. If you would like immediate assistanc
e, please contact my assistant, Naoko Nakamoto, at naoko.nakamoto@chadwick
school.org. Thank you!

[...]

PowerSchool

We currently run PowerSchool sis and are looking for information on what
other PowerSchool schools do to manage admissions, Business Office
operations, development/fundraising, Point of Sale functions, and
registrar functions. We currently run a host of homegrown databases and
spreadsheets and are looking for a more stable and efficient approach.
I appreciate any information you can give.

=20

Don Stalls

Episcopal Collegiate School

Little Rock, AR

(501)372-1194

Re: Admission Testing

As do many Catholic schools around the country, we use the HSPT from
Scholastic Testing Services. Our admissions application packet
includes:

--a 4-page application with parts to be completed by both the
applicant and the parent; this part is submitted by the applicant with
a $50 application fee.

These remaining completed forms, which are in the packet, must be
submitted directly from the applicant's school:
--forms for letters of recommendation from the applicant's current
English and current Math teacher
--a third form to be completed by a teacher of the applicant's choice
other than English or Math
--a form to be completed by the applicant's current principal or head
of school regarding the applicant's discipline record and the family's
involvement in the junior high
--a form to request the 7th and 8th grade academic and attendance
records be submitted to us.

We also ask the student to write a directed essay when she comes to
the HSPT testing.

Our applications are not available online and only given to those who
come to the testing either at our school or at the other schools in
the diocese. 8th graders may take the HSPT at any one of the diocesan
high schools and send their scores to up to three different schools.

Paula Petrowski
Director of Admissions
Xavier College Preparatory
4710 N 5th St.
Phoenix, AZ 85012

On Jul 25, 2008, at 8:56 AM, Stephen Edele wrote:

> For those of you who do not use the ISEE as an admissions tool, I
> would be
> curious to learn what testing or other forms of assessment you use
> in your
> admission procedures.
>

> Many thanks,
>

> -Steve Edele
>

> Stephen Edele
>
> Head of School
>
> The Harbor School
>
> P.O. Box 1912
>
> Vashon, WA 98070
>
> 206-567-5955

Paula Petrowski
Director of Admissions
Xavier College Preparatory
4710 N 5th St., Phoenix, AZ 85012
602-240-3104
petrowski@xcp.org
www.xcp.org
Celebrating a tradition of excellence since 1943

Admission Testing

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Building Mgmt System software

Hi All,
We are facing a large bill to upgrade our old Siemens Building Management System from v.2.x (still running on a Windows 98 desktop!) to the latest version of Siemens APOGEE Insight. In addition to buying the new software and paying conversion fees
(moving graphics and maps to the new system) we'll have to buy a low-end server to run it. All of our HVAC control units on campus are Siemens equipment.

I have two questions for you all. First, does anyone have positive or negative experiences they would be willing to share about Siemens' BMS software and/or the upgrade experience? Second, does anyone work with a different BMS that integrates Siemens
field equipment without much trouble?

Many thanks,
Ken

Ken Ambach
Director of Technology
Friends Academy
Locust Valley, NY

Re: Open Office

I'm curious - Photoshop currently is about $300 per copy with their
educational discount. If you have it on 20 computers on a school, that
runs to $6000. If a school went open source, you can purchase computers
running Linux for $450 to $500 which translates to 12 additional
computers.

Kids would also be able to download it to their personal computers for
free and do additional work at home, helping to close the digital
divide.

So, my question is why do schools stay with Photoshop?

I can imagine it makes sense when you're a top tier private school with
more money in the world, but many schools aren't in that situation.

Thanks,

On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 19:03 -0700, Jason Johnson wrote:

> Specifically GIMP does not have:
> --CMYK and Pantone support (which you almost certainly don't need).
> --RAW support (which you might need for digital camera work).
> Otherwise, I am not aware of anything but is has been about a year since =
I checked. I am sure someone has a comparison chart out there.
>=20
> There are some other features that you may need to use a plug-in for to a=
chieve similar functionality. Probably the biggest drawback to GIMP is tha=
t Photoshop gets all the press. There are dozens of books on PS for ever o=
ne there is on GIMP and plenty of student friendly tutorials. That is wher=
e gimpshop comes in handy. It converts the GIMP interface to be more like =
photoshop (i.e. similar UI but does not change functionality).
>=20
> http://www.gimpshop.com/
> =20
> Outside of features another big hurdle for mac users is that the project =
does not produce binaries for the mac which means a more complex install. =
Another group supports packaging with a sourceforge project but, as always,=
that means they run months to years behind the OS releases and GIMP releas=
es. =20
> http://darwingimp.sourceforge.net/____________________________
> Jason at jasonpj@yahoo.com
>=20
>=20
>=20

Matt Burkhardt, MSTM
President
Impari Systems, Inc.
=EF=BB=BF401 Rosemont Avenue
Frederick, MD 21701
mlb@imparisystems.com
www.imparisystems.com
(301) 644-3911

re: Neo Office / Open Office doesn't do what I need...

Just curious to hear of specifics.

On a related note, I'm also curious to hear about what Adobe Photoshop does that GIMP cannot.

Hoover Chan chan@sacredsf.org
Director of Technology
Schools of the Sacred Heart
2222 Broadway St.
San Francisco, CA 94115

Re: Open Office

I've been working with Google Docs and Zoho Office. Both have many of the
features of MS Office. As a school, we still purchase MS products, but I
don't have a need for them myself.

Susan Carter Morgan
Instructional Technology Coordinator
Fredericksburg Academy