Sunday, July 20, 2008

Re: Feedback on computer Leasing (faculty, students or both?)

I have recently spent a lot of time looking at leasing models. I've =
been blending leasing and buying with tech plans which include 1:1 =
programs for about 9 years. On the desktop side, a 3 year lease makes =
sense. With Mac, it's doesn't make sense to do a lease for more than 3 =
years. The tech refreshes so quickly. Also, desktops still have a =
little residual value after 3 years so take advantage of it.

On the laptop side, the 2 year lease model makes a TON of sense. Your =
payments are a little higher (but a lot less than you'd think). The =
residual value of a 2 year old laptop is really high and a lease gives =
most of that value back to you. Also, the repair ratio of a 2 year old =
machine versus a 3 year old machine is staggering. The manufacturer's =
know this and so you save a ton on warranty of you only get 2 year =
coverage. Once you calculate the cost to internally support a 2 year =
laptop versus 3 year laptop, it's a very powerful argument to consider a =
2 versus 4 year lease.

However, I digress. You asked about leasing in general and only about =
desktops. The incremental savings with desktops is lower but, as you've =
seen, it's compelling. Leasing can be a real beast. Here are questions =
to ask your potential leasing agents:

1. What are my total costs (origination fee, shipping to and from =
school, and end of lease costs)
2. What are the end of lease processes? What are my duties?
3. Please provide 3 EDUCATION references of schools that have FINISHED a =
lease and STILL chose to stay with you. (You'd be amazed how many =
people this weeds out!)

I've been through a few rough leases and have a few bruises to prove it! =
:-) However, I'm still a fan of the leasing model and have found a =
leasing partner with whom I feel very comfortable. Good luck with your =
tech planning process. If you haven't done so already, take a look at =
the School Computing Wiki for help. =
http://schoolcomputing.wikia.com/wiki/School_Computing_Home_Page

Take care,
Alex