Saturday, July 26, 2008

Re: Open Office

I was once a teacher but I am now on the private side of the education =20=

technology business. As such, my perspective on this evolving topic is =20=

largely informed by what I see as an potential employer and someone =20
deeply involved in the technology/software business.

Bill makes some great points...

My test of computer-literacy has little to do with what 'programs' =20
people know. R=E9sum=E9s that list specific word-processing program =
skills =20
(e.g. Expert in Word, Excel...) actually suggest something negative =20
than positive. =46rom my perspective, it is better to expose students =20=

to patterns-of-use then to application-skills; that one is an expert =20
in MS Word but untrained in OO Writer or Google Docs or The Next =20
Greatest Word Processor has very little relevance on this side of the =20=

industry. We use it all, and we expect a meta-fluency in software =20
programs, not fluency in specific toolsets. A skills-based curriculum/=20=

approach may actually be counter-productive in my experience, though =20
I'll submit that my personal experiences do not make for a statistical =20=

case.

Alex said:

Though there is certainly a point of infinite regression, I think we =20
need to look for change in tools, when that change makes sense, and =20
push for it. Our students need to get used to new systems, new tools, =20=

new processes. That is the only certainly for which we can prepare =20
them. Today it is Office 2007 or GIMP. Tomorrow it is something that =20=

hasn't been written...and maybe by one (or several) of our students.

We don't teach students to play video games, yet they learn to play =20
the next greatest game without our need to offer video-game-playing =20
instructions. I'll posit that we don't have to worry preparing kids =20
for changes in software, though we should support the free and =20
unhindered exploration of whatever enables them to be better learners =20=

and thinkers. Nonetheless, I do understand that schools have real-=20
world administrative, political, or budgetary demands. We want =20
students to use computers but we want to do so in a such a way that is =20=

administratively tenable. We like uniform environments, common =20
practices, things that keep the chaos of change at bay. Yet, I wonder =20=

sometimes if the need to standardize on platforms or curriculums have =20=

less to do with any real pedagogical outcomes than on the impulse to =20
satisfy these those business-demands.

To be clear, these non-pedagogical reasons may be perfectly valid, but =20=

it seems to me that we ought not to confuse the them with the business =20=

of teaching any sort of computer literacy.

But the original poster asked if anyone had a good curriculum for =20
OpenOffice. Regrettably, I do not. However, I think any sort of 'good' =20=

curriculum should have the following features:
* it is grounded in problem solving, not in learning particular =20
features or skills
* it is about good writing, thinking and communicating, not about good =20=

word-processing or slide-making

myVeryHumble2Cents( )