Friday, July 25, 2008

Re: Open Office

Matt,

We were able to purchase a site license of Adobe CS 3 Design Standard
(Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, & Acrobat) for both Mac and Windows
through our local IU at a price of $5,000. I thought that was a pretty
reasonable price for what we were getting. For us, we needed several
copies of InDesign because it's the format that our local printing
companies accept. To get Acrobat Professional was also very compelling.
Then to add Photoshop and Illustrator for our art students, we felt
compelled to spend the bucks.

As far as why people would stick with Photoshop, I think it comes down
to a few things.

1. Many teachers have been trained to use Photoshop, so they want to
teach Photoshop, not Gimp.
2. As people have become more familiar with Adobe products, it's harder
to switch to another program. It's comfort.
3. We know that many college programs will be using Adobe products for
layout and for photo manipulation. We felt that giving students access
to these programs would help them when they go to college. It's the same
reason we felt it was necessary to introduce Macs in our art
department.

I have nothing against Gimp and I certainly love FOSS, but this was a
situation where we didn't want to travel that road.

Regards,

Bill Griscom

Director of Information Services
Lancaster Country Day School
725 Hamilton Road
Lancaster, PA 17603-2491
717.392.2916 x. 246
griscomb@lancastercountryday.org

>>> Matt Burkhardt <mlb@imparisystems.com> 7/24/2008 10:30 AM >>>
I'm curious - Photoshop currently is about $300 per copy with their
educational discount. If you have it on 20 computers on a school,
that
runs to $6000. If a school went open source, you can purchase
computers
running Linux for $450 to $500 which translates to 12 additional
computers.

Kids would also be able to download it to their personal computers for
free and do additional work at home, helping to close the digital
divide.

So, my question is why do schools stay with Photoshop?

I can imagine it makes sense when you're a top tier private school
with
more money in the world, but many schools aren't in that situation.

Thanks,

On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 19:03 -0700, Jason Johnson wrote:

> Specifically GIMP does not have:
> --CMYK and Pantone support (which you almost certainly don't need).
> --RAW support (which you might need for digital camera work).
> Otherwise, I am not aware of anything but is has been about a year
since I checked. I am sure someone has a comparison chart out there.

> There are some other features that you may need to use a plug-in for
to achieve similar functionality. Probably the biggest drawback to GIMP
is that Photoshop gets all the press. There are dozens of books on PS
for ever one there is on GIMP and plenty of student friendly tutorials.
That is where gimpshop comes in handy. It converts the GIMP interface
to be more like photoshop (i.e. similar UI but does not change
functionality).

> http://www.gimpshop.com/
>
> Outside of features another big hurdle for mac users is that the
project does not produce binaries for the mac which means a more complex
install. Another group supports packaging with a sourceforge project
but, as always, that means they run months to years behind the OS
releases and GIMP releases.
> http://darwingimp.sourceforge.net/____________________________
> Jason at jasonpj@yahoo.com

Photoshop does that GIMP cannot.