Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Re: Open Office

Specifically GIMP does not have:
--CMYK and Pantone support (which you almost certainly don't need).
--RAW support (which you might need for digital camera work).
Otherwise, I am not aware of anything but is has been about a year since I checked. I am sure someone has a comparison chart out there.

There are some other features that you may need to use a plug-in for to achieve similar functionality. Probably the biggest drawback to GIMP is that Photoshop gets all the press. There are dozens of books on PS for ever one there is on GIMP and plenty of student friendly tutorials. That is where gimpshop comes in handy. It converts the GIMP interface to be more like photoshop (i.e. similar UI but does not change functionality).

http://www.gimpshop.com/

Outside of features another big hurdle for mac users is that the project does not produce binaries for the mac which means a more complex install. Another group supports packaging with a sourceforge project but, as always, that means they run months to years behind the OS releases and GIMP releases.
http://darwingimp.sourceforge.net/____________________________
Jason at jasonpj@yahoo.com