Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Re: Open Office

We've been using Open Office for about three years now. The big
downsides are that multimedia doesn't work as well in Impress as it does
in Powerpoint, but that looks a lot better this summer. I'm hoping to
see a significant improvement.

I would STONGLY recommend setting the default save formats as the Office
2003 formats. Also, get the plugins to save to the Microsoft OOXML
(Office 2007) formats. The transition to and from OOXML is not as
smooth as it should be and MS is re-writing the whole format to deal
with this. Thus, I would still default to the MS 2003 formats.

Lastly, Open Office (as opposed to Star Office) does not include clip
art. However, you can go get open clip art and then install it. They
you build the galleries and it's done. If you are interested, I have
one of our students build us a clip art gallery. Its open clip art, so
I'd be happy to share it.

Take care,
Alex

Alex Inman