Monday, July 14, 2008

Re: fighting proxy/anonymizing sites

I have seen a product called, eduPlatform www.eduplatform.net that works
well to minimize student distractions. Not a controlling, limiting,
policing tool but a powerful teaching solution for labs(mobile or fixed),
1:1, library and classroom computer centers. Regardless of your grade
level, type of class and type of students you can use eduPlatform to direct
your lessons efficiently. The most important tool is the Lesson Builder,
where you can create engaging lessons that keep students on task and focused
on the lesson content. Basically you merge digital resources into a
predetermined sequence (powerpoint followed by a couple of webpages then a
multimedia file, etc. any combination you want) , include a teacher created
assessment, then distribute individually, by groups or to the entire class
using the send lesson function. Students are limited to the lesson content
unless the teacher releases the lock on the operating system. You
eventually build a lesson bank that can be shared, re-used, modified,
aligned and hosted(to standards). The teacher's interface is called
Classroom Manager, where you can perform many of the common network
management features such as real time monitoring(thumbnails), chatting,
sharing screens, send/receive files, voting/polling, launch programs
etc....but the coolest tool is the White List internet browsing, where the
teacher can activate an de-activate webpages for students to access.
Students have no place to type an internet address. They are always limited
to selecting the pages made accessible by the teacher to attain the lesson's
objectives. At any moment you can always launch internet explorer or other
browsers as usual for unrestricted surfing. The cool thing about
EduPlatform is that it is so easy and teacher friendly and in addition to
the Lesson Builder it also includes many useful features that can easily
adapt to a wide variety of classroom management necessities.

Hope this works...

Omar

Omar Paoli, M.Ed.
Educational Consultant