Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Re: Open Office

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 7:25 AM, Norman Maynard <
nmaynard@thorntonfriends.org> wrote:

> ...secondly, MSO is just an easier program to use,
> IMHO, for turning out good looking documents.

That's pretty much my feeling too. I've been trying out NeoOffice (one of
the Mac ports of the OpenOffice idea), and my impression has been that while
it's free, free is not always the better price. It's slow, it's harder to
use, and it doesn't do a lot of the things that at least *I* want a WP
program to do.

Say what you will about Microsoft and its pricing policies (which have
gotten a lot better over the past 20 years), but there's a reason that Word
is number one: It's just *better*. I've used everything from XyWrite to Word
Perfect to MacWrite to WriteNow to AppleWorks, and lots of other stuff in
between; and Word is the best for what most people will need to be able to
do. Plus, it's a cross-platform program. That's very important to me.

I will say, however, that NeoOffice is very good at opening up documents
from some other formats that kids may have at home so I can save them as
Word documents they can work on at school.

--

keg

Keith E Gatling
mailto:keith@gatling.us
http://www.gatling.us/keith
The fact that I'm open-minded doesn't mean that I have to agree with you.