Thursday, July 17, 2008

Re: Demonstration Classrooms

Dear Martha,
=20
Our first "prototype" or "experimental" classroom was built in an old =
building when we were a couple of years away from a major building =
project. The teachers worked with ITS and the carpenters to lay out a =
room that they thought would work. Then the carpenters prefabbed it out =
of plywood (ugly as all get out, but functional) and every teacher in =
the dept taught at least a week in that space and gave feedback. This =
process was extremely helpful in 1) defining technology standards for =
the new building and eventually all classrooms, 2) ironing out the kinds =
of things you only notice when you are living in a room (like having to =
point the remote control at the VCR in the back of the room when you =
want to point it towards the screen at the front of the room). Those =
rooms came standard with projector, two cloth screens, whiteboards, =
desktop computer, DVD/VCR, and some rooms had laser disks because we had =
a library of materials on LD. These rooms also have the ability to =
"patch" in an S-video or composite video device, like a flex cam.
=20
Since then, the building was built and was very comfortably adapted to, =
and now we're looking at another major renovation next year. In =
addition, we are moving our faculty to mobile devices (like TabletPCs) =
in place of desktop computers in each classroom for the teacher, so we =
have built two additional experimental rooms for teachers to: use their =
(or our) TabletPC with a projector, show cable TV programming, hook up a =
TI-Presenter to the projector, show DVD, or use a document camera--a new =
technology for us that has been popular. We have equipped these rooms =
with electronics racks, a hard controller (Crestron) on the wall and a =
software version available on the TabletPC from which the teacher can =
control everything in the room (except lights/shades, which was voted =
excessive by the teachers), and good quality speakers. Sound quality =
and containment continue to be problematic, especially in older =
buildings that are renovated. We went with wireless access points in =
each space and wireless projection (which is not yet very stable, but =
extremely convenient). We also stock and check out for use headset/boom =
mics for use by language classes and those recording podcasts in the =
lab-like space we also built.
=20
We staff these buildings with rotating shifts of ITS staff who handle =
room reservations, equipment setup and training, documentation, and =
sometimes in-class support (we also instituted a "we can't sub for you" =
policy). It's complicated, but it's been helpful exposing all of the =
teachers to all of the ITS staff in person. We survey all users of the =
spaces at the end of each term to get specific feedback on features and =
functionality of the rooms. We have tweaked the controllers' setup a =
few times in response to the feedback we have received. =20
=20
The return of ITS staff to academic buildings has been a big positive =
for all, including ITS. That relationship building that breaks down =
when you centralize can be restored when you go back into "their" =
spaces.
=20
Hope this helps. Feel free to contact me off-list if you have other =
questions. Best, Vi
=20
Vi Richter
Instructor/Academic Technology Coordinator, ITS
Phillips Exeter Academy
=20