Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Re: Open Office

We've gone to OO for students and teaching faculty, but have retained MSO
for administration, which, in our case, is about 4 people.
: )

Students seem to have adopted it without a blink. Staff have had some
issues, and the difference, I think, is that staff demand more of their word
processing in terms of formatting and general style. Overall though, the
ransition bumps have been small and far between. We've retained MSO for
admin for two simple reasons: re-training the staff isn't worth what it
costs for so few copies and secondly, MSO is just an easier program to use,
IMHO, for turning out good looking documents.

If however, the scale of our organization were different, I would likely
come to a different conclusion.

Last note: something to keep an eye on is Adobe Acrobat. They have a
document sharing system that, while in its early stages, looks promising.
Word processing is done through Buzzword, which is easy to use and very
attractive. No spreadsheets or presentations as of yet, so in that sense
they're pretty far behind Google Docs: on the other hand, GDocs just
released a bunch of templates, which may help in moving away from the bland
kind of WP they've offered in the past.

To be honest, my biggest problem right now is picking one and *sticking to
it!*

: )

In peace,

Norman Maynard
Principal, Thornton Friends Upper School
Silver Spring, Maryland
www.thorntonfriends.org