Monday, October 13, 2008

Re: Sales of textbooks to students - emerging trend?

Hi!

Of the two schools I've worked at in the 21st Century, one lends
textbooks, one sells them. At Stoneleigh-Burnham School, where I
currently work, our school store manager handles textbook ordering and
distribution, with as much faculty help as she can dredge up at the
beginning of the year. We do have a textbook buyback program.

Speaking as a Humanities teacher who uses democratic teaching
techniques, I love the flexibility of being able to custom-fit a group
novel to a unit the kids design. For example, my classes are currently
doing units on the North Pole, Dreams, and "Who am I and why do I
like/love the things I do?" and I was able to order "When Santa Fell
to Earth," "Gossamer" and "Just Ella" as group novels to complement
those units. If I were constrained by what already exists in a
departmental bookroom, I would survive (many such schools do), but my
units would be less, well, unified :-) and thus less useful to the
kids.

Take care,
Bill Ivey
Stoneleigh-Burnham School

[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L