Thursday, October 9, 2008

Re: Redundant Internet Connection

Hi.

We're sitting on a 6M Metro Ethernet (fiber optic) connection that is from
AT&T (BellSouth), that I get from a reseller. It saves me the mess of trying
to deal with AT&T directly.

I did have a DSL line (just enough to keep e-mail flowing) as a backup for a
bit, but the MetroE has been reliable enough that I let it go. So we're not
redundant at all right now.

We're paying $1300/month before our E-Rate discount.

We have problems with lightning in the area, so the switch to fiber from a
T-1 has been huge in terms of reliability. I'm now looking into the
possibility of moving my voice traffic to the fiber as well.

+++Jeff