Friday, October 10, 2008

Re: QOS / Packet Shaping

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 08:54:07 -0500, Don Stalls
<dstalls@EpiscopalCollegiate.org> wrote:

>I am looking for cheap / free alternatives to products like DeepNines
>and Cymphonix that would allow us to monitor what is going on in our
>network and with our bandwidth. The ability to control it would be a big
>plus. We currently use a SonicWall 2100 content filter and a SonicWall
>2040 firewall. I would appreciate any ideas you have or help you could
>give.

On the QoS side we've replaced our Packeteer with a much less expensive
product called the "NetEqualizer" (www.netequalizer.com) and are very happy
with it. Not only is the NetEqualizer a lot cheaper, the complete manual is
25 pages or so! If your main purpose is to provide the best experience for
your users with your available bandwidth the product is great and can easily
be setup, learned, and configured in 1/2 day.

Note that the NetEqualizer is primarily a QoS tool, not a network monitoring
tool. However, it does include NTOP (http://www.ntop.org/overview.html)
which provides some nice info but is also lacking in some areas.

--
Tom Phelan
Director of Technology