Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Re: Laptop Programs - Which grades did you begin in and why?

Vinnie

I'm not sure if I will be able to participate in your meeting on the
22nd, but I would like to contribute.

We looked at other "sister" schools who were initially part of the
Lighthouse Initiative of Apple, Inc. Some were deploying 1:1 all the
way down to Kindergarten. In our analysis though we really felt that
reading skills would ultimately play a major role. We decided that 5th
Grade up was a good starting point. It was so successful that we
brought it down into the 4th Grade. This is where we are now.

Another point I would like to make is that we also initially went with
laptop carts for Grades K-3 for use during the school day. We found
that Grades K-1 took so long to get the laptops, set them up at their
desks/tables, open them up and begin to use them that we moved them
back into our existing desktop lab. Most students that age also lacked
motor skills to manipulate the trackpad and clicker. When they used a
mouse they were more successful when it came to a more complex action
as click and drag.

Grades 2 & 3 use the laptop cart very well. It introduces them to the
use and care of the laptops and prep them for 4th Grade and 1:1 laptops.

Oakwood School is a Pre-K through 12 school. The Lighthouse Initiative
has evolved into the Coalition of Lighthouse Schools and is no longer
an operating wing of Apple, Inc.

Good luck with your move to 1:1

Fred Austin
Technology Director