Sunday, December 5, 2010

Re: Upgrading an archaic IT system -- on the cheap!

I will weigh in on this issue as I have been a part of restructuring IT =
systems in schools more than once!

As others have suggested getting the right personnel is something the =
admin must be willing to do. This person must create the vision and be =
responsible for affecting a change in practice, build the =
infrastructure, set budgets and provide PD.
This person will need to create a technology plan and long term budget =
solutions, thereby getting approval from admin and the board.

The nest step in terms of infrastructure I will increase bandwidth. =
This is your first priority and is the most important asset, then add =
the firewall. If you do get a new server to replace existing systems =
get one server an add virtual servers using VMware for other services =
(i.e. printer server, moodle etc) . Outsource as many solutions as =
possible to the cloud to reduce your hardware footprint, reducing your =
overall cost and maintenance of hardware. Add wireless points to provide =
access and no wiring just for use Internet or network access. Thus =
using Google mail and Google docs reduces need for an internal mail =
system, servers etc.

Regarding the laptop program, with limited funds, I would pursue the 1:1 =
laptop model where students bring in their own for now, but also finding =
a standard model that is supported by the school. When a parent updates =
a laptop encourage them to buy through the school and thus more and more =
machines will be on the schools standardized model in the future. The =
school can then =91lease=92 a particular model to students who do not =
have one to fulfill the 1:1 initiative. Leasing ensures that models will =
be updated ever 3-4 years.

If everyone in MS and senior school has laptops I would do away with all =
computer labs and focus your time, energy and funds to the 1:1 laptop =
program. With the funds you save I would use to get access to certain =
websites of value to support their learning or invest in software, =
specifically open source solutions is your best bet, not more hardware.

Fell free to contact off list if you wish..

Vincent Jansen
Lower Canada College