Monday, December 13, 2010

Re: use of computers on exams

I think Steve is right, and I think Steve's post on this topic, and on the
value of our moving to open-computer testing, is excellent.

My own post on "open computer testing" is here:
http://21k12blog.net/2010/11/18/open-computer-testing-putting-21st-c-learning-to-the-test/

<http://21k12blog.net/2010/11/18/open-computer-testing-putting-21st-c-learning-to-the-test/>Our
kids will spend the entirety of their professional life with
google-accessible information at their fingertips, and the project is to
prepare them to make the most of that opportunity. We can do that, and we
can make exam-taking more interesting and more challenging, in fact, if we
embrace "Google-proof" tests.

Thanks Steve.

Jonathan

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 8:44 AM, Steve Taffee <staffee@castilleja.org>wrote:

> Telling students to turn off their network cards and enforcing compliance
> through your honor code seems easier to me.
>
> That said, the long-term solution is to write "Google proof" tests.
>
> http://taffee.edublogs.org/2010/11/03/1-1-programs-and-student-testing/

> -----
> Steve Taffee | Director of Strategic Projects
> Castilleja School | staffee@castilleja.org
> 1310 Bryant Street | www.castilleja.org
> Palo Alto, CA 94301 | taffee.edublogs.org
> 650.924.1040 (Google Voice)
> Women Learning, Women Leading
> <http://twitter.com/sjtaffee> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/stevetaffee
> >
> You don't *really* need to print this do you?
>

> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 8:29 AM, Brian Lamont <BLamont@flinthill.org>
> wrote:
>
> > We are in the first year of a 1:1 environment and are experimenting with
> > using computers on semester exams for essay writing. Currently, we have
> > created a special log-in for students that restricts access to local
> network
> > drives and the Internet; it works well but is a huge undertaking for our
> > tech staff and I'm not sure it will translate when we try to have
> computers
> > used on in-class tests as well. Any suggestions out there that will
> appease
> > teachers in terms of test security while not draining our tech resources?
> >
> > Brian Lamont
> > Upper School Director - Flint Hill School
> > blamont@flinthill.org
> >
> > Think Green! Before printing this e-mail ask the question, is it
> necessary?
> >
> > Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail including attachments, may include
> > confidential and/or proprietary information and may be used only by the
> > person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this
> e-mail/fax
> > is not the intended recipient or his or her agent, the reader is hereby
> > notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
> e-mail/fax
> > is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail/fax in error, please
> notify
> > the sender by replying to this message and destroying all copies of the
> > original message immediately.
> >

> > [ For info on ISED-L see
> https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874]
> > Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,
> > non-commercial, share-alike license.
> > RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L
> >

> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874]

Jonathan E. Martin
Head of School
St. Gregory College Preparatory School
Tucson, Arizona
www.stgregoryschool.org
www.21k12blog.net
Twitter:@JonathanEMartin
520-327-6395
St. Gregory: Creating Leaders and Innovators for the 21st century