Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Re: ISED--final exams for students with accommodations

We always have our students with extended time and/or computer
accommodations in a separate location. They start a half hour earlier
than the others, then some go as much as an extra half hour
afterwards. We have a large location next door to the computer lab
which makes it a perfect place, since those kids who have access to
the computer as part of their accommodations can be in the computer
room.

Ellen

RCDS

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Brent Spicer
<brent.spicer@theindependentschool.com> wrote:
> I'd like to know what other schools do to administer final examinations for
> students with accommodations. My experience has been to have all students
> with extended time in a separate, quiet area (in our case, the library or a
> theater gallery) versus starting them with the general student body and
> allowing them to stay later (through the disruption of other students
> leaving and turning in their exams), or asking the students with extended
> time to get up and move to another location.
>
> I can see arguments both ways, so I thought I'd ask the group what your idea
> of a best practice is.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> --
> Brent Spicer
> Head of Upper School
> The Independent School
>
> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874 ]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.

Ellen Nodelman
Director of College Guidance & Testing
Rockland Country Day School
Tel. (845) 268-6802 NY Office/(860) 767-8014 CT Office
Fax NY: (845) 268-4644/( CT: 860-767-8014 - for CT, please call before
faxing so I can turn on fax receiving in CT)
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail transmission, and any documents,
files or previous e-mail messages appended to it, may contain
confidential information that is legally privileged. If you are not
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, distribution or use of any of the information contained in or
appended to this message is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received
this communication in error, please promptly notify the sender by
reply email and destroy the original message. Thank You.