Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Re: Virtual or not

Virtual servers are the way to go and so are services in the cloud. Virtua=
l servers require a fairly significant and robust piece of hardware as well=
as a way to handle storage via a SAN etc. Depending on the platform you se=
lect, the licensing cost will be a large part of the purchase.

My recommendation, not knowing much about your organization, is to move mai=
l services to the cloud and bring in VMs for admin, network, file managemen=
t, etc. The diversity of such a setup will strengthen your infrastructure i=
mmediately and down the road. This type of solution will give you the most=
bang for your buck and allow you to scale as needed.

Best,

On 12/15/10 8:28 AM, "Jason Johnson" <jasonpj@yahoo.com> wrote:

I know how much space you have, you should do it :-). Seriously though, wi=
th
your space constraints, multiple platforms, and the xserver discontinued it=
is a
solid choice for the future. It also positions you nicely for moving some
functions (e.g. email) out to hosted VMs and scale as you add 7th and 8th g=
rades
next year. There is a learning curve and it is worth some up-front trainin=
g and
consulting help.

_J

Jason at jasonpj@yahoo.com