Saturday, December 11, 2010

Re: Brainstorming the Development of an Online Progressive School

Hi Joe,

Jumping the gun a bit, but here is the direction I think I'm heading.

As background, this article by Alfie Kohn
(http://www.alfiekohn.org/teaching/progressive.htm) provides a clear
description of the key elements of a progressive approach to
education.

I'm thinking of an online school structured like OSG
(http://www.onlineschoolforgirls.org/index.html) that supplements the
programs at existing schools and whose teachers are currently employed
at schools.

The online progressive school (OPS) would be a virtual place students
would attend to discover and develop what Ken Robinson calls their
element, or what many of us call, their passion. (Like 'progressive',
another word with a lot of baggage.)

OPS would support communities of practice in which teachers and
students with shared interests would collaborate to move their mastery
of their chosen element to ever higher levels with the goal of working
to make our world a better place. (Sort of a combination of the ideas
of John Seely Brown and Carol Dweck).

To paraphrase Dan Pink, students would be given some autonomy to
develop mastery for a purpose larger than themselves.

More of my thinking on this subject can be found here:
http://eva2.wikispaces.com/

Fred

--=20
Fred Bartels