Monday, December 6, 2010

Re: Technology Integration in K-5

We are fully integrated in our K-5 classrooms.

Four years ago, there was a computer lab which the students went to
twice a week. The lessons were related to what was happening in the
class, but not integrated. It is hard to integrate if the technology is
not available when and where it is needed. =20

Three years ago, we dismantled the computer lab and put laptops in all
the classrooms. The first year we had one set of laptops for K-1, one
for 2-3 and one for each grade 4 and 5. (So a 1-4 ratio in K-3 and a
1-2 in 4th - 5th). (Yes, I know you laptops and a lab can work in
harmony. But, it is hard to break old habits, so we chose to dismantle
the lab so there was no choice but to use the technology in the
classroom.)

The first year, the teachers, especially in K-3, had a hard time
figuring out how to use technology in their classroom. They were use to
sending the kids to a lab twice a week with a general curriculum topic
and the computer teacher figured everything else out. Some teachers
loved having the laptops available in the class, other teachers really
hated it. It was hard to use the laptops in new ways because there was
still a cart to wheel in and still scheduling issues.

Each year we have added laptops. We also got rid of all carts. We now
have 6 laptops in each K and 1st grade class, and 10 laptops in each
classroom 2nd - 5th. The laptops are all on shelves (except for one
classroom that preferred a small cart in the corner for space reasons).
The students and teachers have access to the laptops throughout the day.
If they need a full class set (in 2nd - 5th), they just send the kids
next door to get them. =20

Today, the students in 2nd - 5th use the laptops almost everyday. They
do word processing, brainstorming / organizing, online math (IXL) and
research. About 75% of the time it is daily, tool type use. (A few
students need to type up their papers. They finished their poems and
some students what to type them up and add graphics. Or some students
want to use the internet to look up information on something they are
working on. Students want to work on IXL math.) In 4th and 5th grades
the laptops are rarely used with the entire class at the same time.
Students just use the laptops when they need them. In 2nd and 3rd about
75% of the time everyone is using the laptops at the same time, either
individually or with a partner. In K-1 the laptops are used for
stations 1-2 times a week. The computers are also available for "may
do" time, so students in K can use them when they have finished their
other work. (The kindergarten teachers are comfortable with free time
computer use. The first grade teachers have not yet adopted this
model.)

I still work with the teachers to design, implement and assess larger
technology projects such as creating California Mission websites,
designing solar system presentations, working on Earthquake wikis, etc.
But the model we have works because all the classroom teachers have had
and continue to have the support to find ways to successfully use the
technology in their classroom. The teachers no longer see technology as
something that is scheduled when the Ed Tech is available to help them
with it. They see it as something they can successfully use with their
students everyday. =20

The four things we had in place to make this transition successful were:
strong leadership support (including money to buy technology for the
classroom), ongoing professional development (after school onsite
classes, technology integration mentors, offsite conferences, "just in
time" training, etc.), ongoing support (we have a help desk line that
teachers call with tech issues and get a response in an average of 10
minutes as well as Ed Tech support), and a solid infrastructure (the
technology has to work or they won't use it). =20

I hope this helps.

Renee Ramig
Seven Hills School