Monday, December 6, 2010

Re: Technology Integration in K-5

In our K-5 division, students come to the computer lab once a week and have
laptops available in their building.

However, their classroom teachers run the class in the computer lab. I am
there for just support. Students take the opportunity to work on projects
that are directly related to what is being covered in class. Our 4th grade
teacher, is currently working on the My Hero
Project<http://www.myhero.com/myhero/go/theteachersroom/index.asp>with
her language arts students. I like this project because of the
seamless
integration of technology, writing, critical thinking, reflection, and
creativity....I encourage you to check it out.

Our 5th grade students use part of their lab time and laptops for lessons in
their social studies curriculum. They cover topics like the Constitution,
Branches of Government etc...
In the "Branches of Government" unit they use Inspiration Software to create
a visual representation of the different Branches. They usually complete
this project right before their test...

They are about to start the Constitution and will be creating short videos (
using images and video clips) about different aspect of the Constitution.
This will involve them writing a short script, gathering images, narrating,
creating a bibliography..The focus is not on the use of the technology but
the content.

These are just some examples of things we do here.. Hope it helps ...

Laly Porras
Technology Integrator
Saddle River Day School

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 9:07 AM, Ademola Popoola <popoola@gmail.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> I'm looking for models of tech integration for students in grades K - 5.
>
> If you fully (or partially) integrate the use of tech resources (ipads,
> netbooks, or online tools) in the grades mentioned above, I would like to
> learn more of your model of inclusion.
>
> Currently, our kids in grades 1-5 attend computer classes (in a dedicated
> computer lab) once or twice a week. In these classes they learn to use
> applications ranging from Kid Pix and Timeliner to MS Office.
>
> We're looking to charge the classroom teachers with implementing more
> innovation and creativity via integration of these applications/tools into
> their existing curriculum. Where it fits... Ideally, we'd like the content
> to drive the need for technology. Not technology to drive classroom
> instruction.
>
> Thanks in advance for all insight.
>
> --
> A. Popoola