Saturday, December 18, 2010

Re: use of computers on exams

Why should not students have the full resources of the 1:1 initiative
available to them on the intitiative? Why bother with 1:1 computing if you
are not got going to use the resource on assessments? Nothing changes if the
assessments are still geared to pencil and paper. Those assessments were
developed when there were no computers and the power of Google was not there
for students on question of fact. That power gives them the power of
argument and allows real thinking. Unleash them.

Norman

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Brian Lamont <BLamont@flinthill.org>wrote:

> We are in the first year of a 1:1 environment and are experimenting with
> using computers on semester exams for essay writing. Currently, we have
> created a special log-in for students that restricts access to local network
> drives and the Internet; it works well but is a huge undertaking for our
> tech staff and I'm not sure it will translate when we try to have computers
> used on in-class tests as well. Any suggestions out there that will appease
> teachers in terms of test security while not draining our tech resources?
>
> Brian Lamont
> Upper School Director - Flint Hill School
> blamont@flinthill.org
>
> Think Green! Before printing this e-mail ask the question, is it necessary?
>
> Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail including attachments, may include
> confidential and/or proprietary information and may be used only by the
> person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail/fax
> is not the intended recipient or his or her agent, the reader is hereby
> notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail/fax
> is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail/fax in error, please notify
> the sender by replying to this message and destroying all copies of the
> original message immediately.
>

> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874]

Norman Constantine
Director of Technology Integration