Monday, December 6, 2010

Re: Technology Integration in K-5

Just spent a couple of day at two great conferences (Chicago Public Schools'
Tech Talk and EdCampNYC), and some of the resources from these events might
be helpful.

First, Scott McLeod of Iowa State was the keynote at Tech Talk, and I found
him to be very refreshing in terms of addressing school leadership and
technology use. He has a fabulous wiki with lots of examples of schools
doing interesting things. You might find it helpful in your research about
technology integration practices: http://movingforward.wikispaces.com/.

Also, CPS is piloting iPads in about 20 schools with more to come, and
Burley School seems to be doing some impressive things (
http://ipadsatburley.blogspot.com/). Burley has a long history of being on
the forefront of literacy instruction, and I think tech has helped to
amplify their efforts. They are also open to tours; I'm taking a couple of
colleagues there on Tuesday as a matter of fact.

Finally, EdCampNYC was held at the School at Columbia of which I've sung
praises many times on this list, and I continued to be impressed with their
outlook towards technology. Not sure where to direct you exactly for info,
but their tech director, Don Buckley, is always willing to field questions
and visitors. Here are a couple of links that might be helpful:
http://theschool.columbia.edu/about/photoblog
http://theschool.columbia.edu/middle-division/student_work

Now that I think of other model programs in independent schools, you might
also want to check out Punahou's programs:
http://www.punahou.edu/page.cfm?p=1577. I participated in their Summer Lab
School last summer, and appreciated their outlook towards innovation and 1
to 1 computing. My contact there, Judy Beaver, just retired, but I'm sure
the great work continues on.

Hope this helps,

Lucy Gray