Thursday, November 18, 2010

Re: ISED- Microsoft vs VM Ware for virtual servers

We haven't done much testing of Microsoft's product, but VMWare is more
mature and therefore I would assume more stable and feature rich. We
currently have about 20 virtual servers on 4 VMWare boxes. We only need 3
for the 20 but the 4th allows one to fail and we can continue to run all of
our servers on the remaining 3. We use VCenter to manage them all in one
place and management couldn't be much easier.

For something as mission critical as your virtualization software, I don't
think money should be your deciding factor unless one solution is simply too
expensive.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about Microsoft's product to answer your
question directly, but I hope you find this helpful.

Tom Phelan
Director of Technology
Peddie School