Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Re: Email Archiving

Hi Chris -

If you are a member of NAIS, search their site for Debra Wilson's article,
"Electronic Documents in Independent Schools."
www.nais.org/government/article.cfm?ItemNumber=149844

The short answers is that you keep email based on your school's document
retention policies. When I worked for Netscape, our email would self-delete
from the server after 90 days, but many of us used POP clients that
downloaded the email to our local machines where it could live forever.

In our school's case, we are using Gmail with Positini providing our email
archiving and e-discovery services. Our practice is to not apply any sort of
email archiving to student emails, but only to faculty and staff. I believe
we retain faculty email for three years, and administrator email for five
years, but I may be off a bit there as I no longer run those systems. When a
faculty member leaves school, their email archive is deleted, though emails
to that person and their replies may be part of archives of other employee's
archives.

If I was to change anything about or practices, it would be to consider
archiving student email for the duration of their enrollment in the school.

-----
Steve Taffee | Director of Strategic Projects
Castilleja School | staffee@castilleja.org
1310 Bryant Street | www.castilleja.org
Palo Alto, CA 94301 | taffee.edublogs.org
650.924.1040 (Google Voice)
Women Learning, Women Leading
<http://twitter.com/sjtaffee> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/stevetaffee>
You don't *really* need to print this do you?