Friday, November 19, 2010

Re: Fake Teacher Facebook Profile

I think this is the page Richard referred to:
http://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=3D12256&ref_query=3Drep

Betsy

From: "Ramsden, Jason T."
<jramsden@ravenscroft.org<mailto:jramsden@ravenscroft.org>>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:13:12 -0800
To: "ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU<mailto:ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>"
<ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU<mailto:ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>>

Tom,

We had a similar incident occur last year and Facebook was, in a word,
useless when it came to taking down the fake teacher profile. Even when
the teacher, who already had a profile, reported it as a fake there was
no movement (by the way you actually have to have your own profile on
Facebook in order to claim another as a fake one impersonating you).

In the end, we pressed the several students who had friended the profile
and it finally came out that one of them had started it and they took it
down. If that had not happened, however, it would most likely still be
up and running, IMHO.

Oddly enough, about the same time we had a Group Page about the school
that was less than complimentary but because they had used the school
logo on their page when we reported it as copyright infringement it was
taken down in less than 24 hours.

Maybe others have had a better experience working with Facebook and fake
profiles than I?
-------
Jason T. Ramsden; CTO @ Ravenscroft School (Raleigh, NC - USA)
Mobile: 919.337.2244