Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Re: state of the art digital arts labs

Patt -

I agree that the first choice is overkill. That said, the obvious advantage
of any tower is expandability. You could, for example, load it up with
additional hard drives and turn them into a RAID array, or simply use an
additional drive as a Time Machine backup for the primary drive and keep all
of the work local to the machine. No server required for backup.

We went with option #2, though with a smaller screen since we literally
could not fit the larger models in the small space the arts lab is in. You
could consider formatting the 2TB drive into two or more partitions. One
partition for the OS and applications, and a second for data. This makes it
easier to reimage if necessary. You could also use a partition as a time
machine backup, but this has some risk if the hard drive itself physically
fails. I do this with my laptop, but then I backup the time machine
partition to the cloud via Crash Plan.

I have found the performance of these computers to be excellent for
Photoshop, Final Cut Express, GarageBand, and similar CPU intensive
operations. On a final note, while we have not done this, there should be
ways to turn these machines into rendering farms for extremely large video
projects to render overnight, thereby gaining productive use of them during
otherwise idle times.

Regards,

-----
Steve Taffee | Director of Strategic Projects
Castilleja School | staffee@castilleja.org
1310 Bryant Street | www.castilleja.org
Palo Alto, CA 94301 | taffee.edublogs.org
650.924.1040 (Google Voice)
Women Learning, Women Leading
<http://twitter.com/sjtaffee> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/stevetaffee>
You don't *really* need to print this do you?