Friday, November 19, 2010

Re: Fake Teacher Facebook Profile

Two years ago, someone set up a fake profile for a teacher here. We complet=
ed the FB built-in reporting form and the profile disappeared the next day =
without further contact to or from Facebook.

Richard

--
Richard Kassissieh
Director of Information Technology

From: "Ramsden, Jason T." <jramsden@ravenscroft.org<mailto:jramsden@ravensc=
roft.org>>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:13:12 -0800
To: "ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU<mailto:ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>" <ISED-L@LISTS=
ERV.SYR.EDU<mailto:ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>>
Subject: Re: Fake Teacher Facebook Profile

Tom,

We had a similar incident occur last year and Facebook was, in a word, usel=
ess when it came to taking down the fake teacher profile. Even when the tea=
cher, who already had a profile, reported it as a fake there was no movemen=
t (by the way you actually have to have your own profile on Facebook in ord=
er to claim another as a fake one impersonating you).

In the end, we pressed the several students who had friended the profile an=
d it finally came out that one of them had started it and they took it down=
. If that had not happened, however, it would most likely still be up and r=
unning, IMHO.

Oddly enough, about the same time we had a Group Page about the school that=
was less than complimentary but because they had used the school logo on t=
heir page when we reported it as copyright infringement it was taken down i=
n less than 24 hours.

Maybe others have had a better experience working with Facebook and fake pr=
ofiles than I?
----
Jason T. Ramsden; CTO @ Ravenscroft School (Raleigh, NC - USA)
Mobile: 919.337.2244