Saturday, November 20, 2010

Re: Fake Teacher FB Account

Thanks Doug. I'll be forwarding this to the head of out high school and brin=
g it up in our next administration meeting.=20

- Tom

On Nov 20, 2010, at 5:27 AM, "Doug Fodeman" <dfodeman@brookwood.edu> wrote:

> A forum for independent school educators <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> writes:=

>> Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 09:29:13 -0800
>> From: Tom Wroten <twroten@saccds.org>
>> Subject: Fake Teacher Facebook Profile
>>=20
>> We recently found out that one of teachers now has a fake Facebook =3D
>> profile, likely setup by a current and enrolled student.
>>=20
>> Of the other students that have requested him as a "friend" we have =3D
>> asked that they report the profile as a fake. As of right now it looks =3D=

>> like the site has been up for over a week and Facebook has done nothing =3D=

>> about removing the page.
>>=20
>> Does anyone know of a way to contact Facebook to either make them remove =3D=

>> the profile or request the email address the profile was setup with so =3D=

>> we can track down it's creator?
>>=20
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>> Tom Wroten
>> Director of Technology
>> Sacramento Country Day School
>=20
> Tom,
> We (at ChildrenOnline.org) have spoken to many schools who have dealt with=
this issue and I have personally dealt with a similar issue at my school. R=
obin Peralta's suggestion to approach it by reporting the site as being a br=
each of the FB rules is a
ing "support@facebook.com", "info@facebook.com" etc....
>=20
> However, I have one thing to add.... I was unsuccessful for more than 2 mo=
nths to get some slanderous (defaming) content removed until we threatened a=
law suit if the content was not removed by a certain date. I had a respons=
e in less than a day.
>=20
> I would get your school's lawyer involved immediately and send emails to a=
ll addresses you can find for Facebook administration and authority, includi=
ng via online forms on their site. However, that doesn't address the fact t=
hat a student (or students)
> created it. They may consider it a joke but not realize that, depending o=
n what was posted, the fake site can have life-long consequences for the tea=
cher! I hope this becomes a very serious teachable moment for the students.=
They need to understand
> that nothing is private online ESPECIALLY on Facebook! (Online privacy is a=
n oxymoron) They also should be taught WHO is looking at Facebook content a=
nd the ramifications for the online reputations they create (or create for o=
thers).
>=20
> Good luck!
> Doug
>=20
> Co-Director, ChildrenOnline.org
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> Douglas Fodeman =20
> Director of Technology
> Brookwood School
> Manchester, MA 01944
> http://www.Brookwood.edu
> (978) 526-4500 X6233
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>=20
>=20
> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D12887=
4 ]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, n=
on-commercial, share-alike license.