Sunday, November 21, 2010

Re: Security hole in your school filters

We all know blocking doesn't work. Kids can find their way around =
everything. As my high school son used to say, filters are great for =
two things - 1. To give teachers a sense of security and 2. To give =
students something to do at lunch time (find ways around the filter). =20

We have to focus on supervision and student behavior. Like everything =
else, we need to be clear about what the behavior expectations are for =
the students in all areas of school life including use of technology. =
Students will always push the boundaries, that is their job. Schools =
have consequences for inappropriate behavior, and this needs to include =
inappropriate use of technology. The consequences need to focus on the =
behavior not the technology. For example, if a student tears out a page =
in their book, the consequences would probably not be the student could =
not use a book for the rest of the school year. However, if a student =
uses technology inappropriately, the consequence is often to take it =
away. We are working (hopefully) on having technology be as ubiquitous =
as books, paper and pencils, so why do we take it away?

There are enough issues the tech team has to worry about. I just don't =
see a need to worry about whether Facebook (or any other website) will =
somehow get through the filter. Make sure teachers and administrators =
understand the main reason for a filter is to make it a little more =
difficult for students to get to inappropriate sites. Just like with =
birth control, there is nothing that is 100% other than abstinence.

Renee Ramig
Seven Hills School