Friday, November 26, 2010

Re: Setting up an Email Server - Help for Bernadette Roche

Hello, all,

Some quick thoughts as I wrestle my way out of a tryptophan-induced haze:

If I understand this correctly, she is looking at a few things here:

1. Existing systems failure;
2. Data recovery from backups;
3. Possibly, virus/malware issues that contributed to the systems failure;
4. Possibly, backups that contain the virus/malware
5. The need to get a new email system in place;
6. Possibly (depending on her choice for an email solution) the need to rebuild the email server.

The existing backups need to be scanned for any viruses/malware.

Once that is done, and she has good information about the integrity of the backups, she can move forward with the data recovery.

Realistically, though, I would also want to look at the other computers in her network. It sounds like there are are some virus/malware issues at play here, and I'd want to get a clearer sense of what is happening on the network before rebuilding.

I hope this helps, and that the recovery process runs smoothly.

Cheers,

Bill