Friday, November 19, 2010

Re: Fake Teacher Facebook Profile

Tom,

We had a similar incident occur last year and Facebook was, in a word, us=
eless when it came to taking down the fake teacher profile. Even when the=
=20teacher, who already had a profile, reported it as a fake there was no=
=20movement (by the way you actually have to have your own profile on Fac=
ebook in order to claim another as a fake one impersonating you).=20

In the end, we pressed the several students who had friended the profile =
and it finally came out that one of them had started it and they took it =
down. If that had not happened, however, it would most likely still be up=
=20and running, IMHO.

Oddly enough, about the same time we had a Group Page about the school th=
at was less than complimentary but because they had used the school logo =
on their page when we reported it as copyright infringement it was taken =
down in less than 24 hours.

Maybe others have had a better experience working with Facebook and fake =
profiles than I?
------
Jason T. Ramsden; CTO @ Ravenscroft School (Raleigh, NC - USA)
Mobile: 919.337.2244