Saturday, November 20, 2010

Re: Fake Teacher FB Account

A forum for independent school educators <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> writes:
>Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 09:29:13 -0800
>From: Tom Wroten <twroten@saccds.org>
>Subject: Fake Teacher Facebook Profile
>
>We recently found out that one of teachers now has a fake Facebook =
>profile, likely setup by a current and enrolled student.
>
>Of the other students that have requested him as a "friend" we have =
>asked that they report the profile as a fake. As of right now it looks =
>like the site has been up for over a week and Facebook has done nothing =
>about removing the page.
>
>Does anyone know of a way to contact Facebook to either make them remove =
>the profile or request the email address the profile was setup with so =
>we can track down it's creator?
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>Tom Wroten
>Director of Technology
>Sacramento Country Day School

Tom,
We (at ChildrenOnline.org) have spoken to many schools who have dealt with this issue and I have personally dealt with a similar issue at my school. Robin Peralta's suggestion to approach it by reporting the site as being a breach of the FB rules is a
good one. Report the problem to as many contacts at FB as possible including "support@facebook.com", "info@facebook.com" etc....

However, I have one thing to add.... I was unsuccessful for more than 2 months to get some slanderous (defaming) content removed until we threatened a law suit if the content was not removed by a certain date. I had a response in less than a day.

I would get your school's lawyer involved immediately and send emails to all addresses you can find for Facebook administration and authority, including via online forms on their site. However, that doesn't address the fact that a student (or students)
created it. They may consider it a joke but not realize that, depending on what was posted, the fake site can have life-long consequences for the teacher! I hope this becomes a very serious teachable moment for the students. They need to understand
that nothing is private online ESPECIALLY on Facebook! (Online privacy is an oxymoron) They also should be taught WHO is looking at Facebook content and the ramifications for the online reputations they create (or create for others).

Good luck!
Doug

Co-Director, ChildrenOnline.org
Douglas Fodeman