Monday, August 30, 2010

Re: Slate project on building a better classroom

It's not just how the classroom is laid out, it's what goes on inside it. I
invite readers to look at our school's new "partner," NuVu Studio (
www.nuvustudio.org). It's a day-only "term-away" program based on a
design-thinking model and focused on having students develop capacity in
creativity and innovation as they collaboratively explore real-world
problems. The model is the art/architecture studio model informed by the MIT
Media Lab, where some of the NuVu creators have been working (they're most
all recent PhD students at MIT, with a few Harvard folks there as well).

You can learn more about how the Beaver-NuVu program works at
www.bcdschool.org/nuvu. We have somewhere close to 60 kids in grades 10-12
who will spend a trimester there this year. It's pretty cool, and I suspect
that the physical space will take on some interesting attributes as the year
goes on--think the primary need is for lots of white wall space for posting
ideas, and lots of tools and materials for prototype building. Plus lots of
big brains for coaching the kids and giving them feedback as they work.

I can answer some questions off the list, if anyone is as jazzed by this as
I am.

I wish I were in high school again, just so I could do this--PG

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Fred <fredbartels@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.hpa.edu/academics/energy-lab
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Aug 30, 2010, at 4:02 PM, "Bassett, Patrick" <bassett@nais.org> wrote:

Peter Gow
Director of College Counseling and Special Programs
Beaver Country Day School
791 Hammond Street
Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts 02467
www.bcdschool.org