Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Re: Cell phone policies

Reading the three responses posted publicly to Vinnie's question prompts me
to share this; it is an excellent analysis from a renowned private school
educator, Vicki Davis, aka Cool Cat Teacher.

*10 Reasons Why Cell Phones Should be Allowed in
School.<http://coolcatteacher.blogspot.com/2009/03/making-case-for-cell-phones-in-schools.html>
*
The full discussion is on the blog link, but here is here is her list:

1. Cell Phones Can Save Us Money
2. Cell Phones Can Help Students Be More Organized
3. It Makes Kids More Safe
4. It Allows Sensitive Issues to be Kept Private
5. It Alleviates Strain on the Network.
6. It Alleviates Strain in the IT Department
7. It Speeds Up Information Retrieval
8. It Allows Us to Teach Kids Digital Responsibility and Citizenship
9. It Sets a Model for Effective Change and Innovation
10. You're fighting a losing battle.

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Sandy Lyon <slyon@saccds.org> wrote:

> We do not allow cell phone use during the day at all. They need to be in
the backpack or locker, but the students may use them after school. If the
cell phone rings in class or is otherwise caught out, it is confiscated
until a parent can pick it up. An afternoon detention is also administered.

ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Vinnie Vrotny
> Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 10:28 AM
> To: ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
> Subject: Cell phone policies
>
> I know that this was just sent recently, but I am in a faculty meeting and
cannot search. Does anyone have a cell phone policy which is working and you
would be willing to share (vvrotny@gmail.com)

> Sent from my iPad
> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874]
non-commercial, share-alike license.

> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874]
non-commercial, share-alike license.

Jonathan E. Martin
Head of School
St. Gregory College Preparatory School
Tucson, Arizona
www.stgregoryschool.org
www.21k12blog.net
Twitter:@JonathanEMartin
520-327-6395
St. Gregory: Creating Leaders and Innovators for the 21st century