Friday, August 27, 2010

Re: Google Docs

How do they know who is writing the paper when it is assigned for work
outside of class if they aren't using Google docs? Unless you are
standing over the person writing as they write, you never know with
assurance who is writing the paper. Seriously, even checking
handwriting is worthless because someone else may have written a draft
that the student is just copying over.

Turnitin.com provides a useful tool in helping assure authentic work.

Good luck!

Catherine

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 8:55 AM, Stephanie Oberle
<soberle@francisparker.org> wrote:
> For those of you using Google Docs at your school......
>
> We are implementing a pilot program for Google Docs this year. There are =
some concerns from the English Dept. about who writes the papers. Could you=
please let us know how you have handled this type of situation?

> from a concerned teacher....
>>I don't know if I want to do this, however I'm definitely willing to give=
it a try.=A0 I talked with
> xxx
>> at length about this last year and it seems to me that there are some bi=
g loopholes.=A0 I know all about them signing on etc. at home but there is =
no way of knowing who is doing the actual writing once a kid signs on.=A0 I=
t could be parents, tutor,
>>anybody.=A0 Convince me=A0 how to assure that that it is definitely the k=
ids writing and I'll sign on.

> Thanks for your help!
> Stephanie
>>

> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D1288=
74 ]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,=
non-commercial, share-alike license.

--=20
--
Catherine Wyman