Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Re: Cell phone policies

One more thought...

Someone from Google told me the other day that I have more computing
power in my iPhone than they had in the Apollo missions.

Why do we want to take that computing power out of the students' hands
when they get to school?

Catherine


On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 7:20 PM, Vinnie Vrotny <vvrotny@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you to all who have replied. I have collected many cell phone policies
> from the public schools in my area as well. I will be sharing these out in
> the next few days. I am overwhelmed right now with just getting my school up
> and functional.
>
> I have begun to work up a mock policy which builds a postive use of cell
> phones. The policy that I am trying to help guide is one for our high
> school, so we have to be considerate of the lower grades and a prohibition
> of the cell phone during the day, at this point in time until we are ready
> to deal with them. Maybe my small, SMART, and Mobile presentation that I
> gave at the Laptop Institute should be what I talk about to my Middle School
> faculty on Thursday.
>
> As a teaser, the policy I want to build is focused on the high expectations
> of responsible use. I am trying to craft it not to be rule drive for the 20%
> who negatively impact the community. I would rather focus on the 80% of the
> students who would be engaged and currently responsibly uses the
> technology.
>
> This will end up as a blog post (vvrotny.org) and I will let you know when I
> am done.
>
> V
>
> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874 ]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
> RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L
>

--
--
Catherine Wyman
Program Director, Technology
602-240-3163
cwyman@xcp.org
Xavier College Preparatory
Women pursuing excellence--a tradition since 1943

[ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874 ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L